- Provide the child with a special notebook just for homework assignments. Nothing else is to be written in this notebook.
- When homework assignments are completed, the work is put into the special notebook so it can be turned in at school.
- Ask teachers to send a note home with the homework assignmnet which parents must sign and return.
It is best to have the child do his/her homework at the same time every day. Meals and bedtime are at regular times, and giving homework the same consideration gives it equal importance. Work should usually come before play, especially is the child is having difficulty remembering or completing assignments. A half hour after arriving home from school gives children time for a snack, but not time to get involved in other activities.
STUDY HABITS BEGIN AT AN EARLY AGE
Good study habits should begin in the first grade. Insist no radio or television be playing while the child is doing homework. Studies have repeatedly shown the most people learn better in a quiet atmosphere. Be willing to help, but don't do your child's work.
- Use a homework notebook.
- Set a regular time for doing homework.
- Check and approve homework before the child goes out to play.